Wednesday

How it All Started....

Dear Friends,
Just so you know how the Stewart family Extreme Makeover Surprise came about...

I was visiting teaching a couple of months ago with Lisa to Sister Stewart's, Lisa had to leave early, so Vicki and I visited awhile longer. She explained to me that they were "finally" going to finish part of the basement. They really wanted to have another bedroom finished so the boys - Jackson and Sam, could have some of their own space. But this is all they were going to do right now and that they were doing a lot of the work themselves. After visiting a while, I thought, "we should do it for them", but I pushed the thought away. I don't know anything about building - and closed the door on it.

Then a couple of weeks later, I was shopping (imagine that) and the thought came to me again, "we should finish the bishop's basement". At the store, I had a question for my sister-in-law on which paint I needed to buy for a project I was doing, she is a Mrs. fix-it, and I brought the idea up to her. She, several years ago had done an 'extreme makeover' in her ward, and so, of course when she heard my thoughts, she said to absolutely do it! She told me I would be held accountable if I didn't act upon it and that I would never forgive myself for the rest of my life...Those were strong words, I felt sick to my stomach. Well, I told her that if I did end up doing it then I would probably need her advice. And once again, put it out of my mind, and closed the door.

A week or so later, I told my husband about it and he of course, lit up and said that he thought it would be a great idea. He knows I know nothing about building or construction, so I told him that he would just have to tell me what to do and what to arrange. Weeks went by and we talked about it here and there.

At the end of August, I heard Vicki talking about them going to Disneyland sometime in the fall. When I heard this I knew we needed to find out when because how perfect - we could surprise them! So I casually asked Abby at activity days when they were going, she told me in October. Well, we knew we just had to do it, but how?!? As we have continued to move forward with this great project, everything just began to fall into place.

We were able to sneak down last Sunday and to our surprise...they had put up drywall and not just the boys bedroom was being done! Their bedroom, the family room and also the bathroom. We told Bro. Borchert our plan and he said definitely we should do it! That next Tuesday I went to visit teach Vicki, I knew I had to see her before they left. I prayed before going in that I would be directed as I visited her...What an amazing lady, I went hoping and praying that I could give her comfort with the trials and challenges they are going through and she comforted me. She expressed to me that it was possibly a tender mercy as the bishop has had abdominal pain ever since his 2nd of 6 surgeries for the cancer, and the last couple of weeks he had not had the pain and was able to go down and work on the basement. She told me how great it made him feel that he was able to go and do that. She had told me that she was hoping to be able to go down and do the painting after they got back from Disneyland and while bishop was in Hawaii the following week for work. As soon as she said this, an immediate peace and confirmation came over me that we were doing the right thing! That this is what the Lord wanted to be done.

Ever since it was decided that YES we ARE going to do this, little miracles have been happening. It is such a testimony to me of not only visiting teaching, but the importance of listening to the spirit. In conference we were counseled to act without delay to the still small voice and the promptings not be postponed. Sometimes we might feel awkward, but to act upon it. What a lesson to me! I am so grateful for our Heavenly Father being forgiving and not giving up on me in being an instrument in His hands.

I have been saying that we cannot heal our bishop, but maybe this can help him to heal. He will have this off his shoulders and he won't have to worry about any longer.

You are all part of this great miracle that continues to unfold. My heart is overflowing with the love and service that continues to be rendered. How blessed I feel to be a part of this. I am overcome by this great place that we live in, the amazing people that we are truly blessed to be surrounded by. There is no better people - Thank you everyone!!!

Love,
Jen Bowles

No comments:

Post a Comment